Thursday, July 31, 2008

Goodbye Days of Leisure: Back to Work We Go!

I am now gainfully employed. I am finishing one last contract gig in apparel before I start my full time status in Brand Strategy. Why leave the fashion industry, you may ask? Well, it's not all bling and bauble. I just got back from southern Cali where I had to visit factories in East LA. Driving my boss's large very uncool Cadillac I maneuvered around stakeouts, check cashing institutions, and about 100 taco stands. I walked through cutting and sewing factories where my 4 inch heels were considered a safety hazard. The catcalls started...but to the worker's dismay my cursing in Spanish will rival anyones. They promptly shut up and focused on putting the seat in a pair of pants.

I am happy to leave apparel in pursuit of new industries and challenges. However the pursuit of employment wasn't easy in this down economy. I may feel superstar, but I also did manage to let a little stress invade my life as I waited for an offer. The following details were transcribed over two weeks ago when my life changed from lady of leisure to full time worker bee....


The Job Saga


Wednesday: 11pm

I was feeling a bit down wondering why I, the quoted consultant superstar, had not yet been called back with an offer. I was getting sad to the point of overdosing on 2 year old chocolate bar found in my nightstand drawer. At this low point I instead decided to pick up the other nightstand item--(no, not what you are thinking) a book called "The Tibetan art of positive thinking." I read, I meditated, I felt fabulous, and ignored the decaying chocolate to fall into a restful sleep.

Thursday: 9am

After a long run to JT tunes I sat on my living room floor and meditated. I envisioned all obstacles to my life being crushed by a sledgehammer. (maybe one that JT was holding...hmmmm...)

Thursday: 12pm

Putting my positive thinking to use I trotted down the Pac Heights streets in new heels to meet a entrepreneurial women who had started up a handbag line. We had a nice lunch chat and at the end she informed me not only was she looking for a business partner, but I, the consulting superstar, had amazing credentials for this role. ("how did you do all this and stay young?"). I wasn't sure what to say and stammered out something unintelligible. We agreed to stay in touch...I would be better with words after a martini...or chocolate...was it still in the drawer?

Thursday: 1.30pm

Before I could get to my secret chocolate drawer I did a voicemail check. It revealed that the Brand Strategy firm had indeed called me back--right during the time I was discussing my role as a possible handbag partner. I was silly to despair-They still love me. Of course. A few more phone calls revealed an offer and bonus potential. Less than I wanted...sigh....but the entrepreneurial company offered lots of other opportunities for success, such as an eventual role as San Francisco managing director if I proved my salt. The firm actually was so ready for me Heidiness that they had already picked out projects for me to start on this summer.

So what did I finally do? Well I decided to mull over the offer while surfing on Friday, congratulate myself on the art of Positive Thinking all weekend with glasses of champy, and then came back with a counter offer Monday. We worked out a deal and I was thrilled to start with such a young engaging company. I'll stay in touch with the bag lady (handbag that is) to learn more about her business but for now it's time to strategize on a plethora of brands. For my new job I actually need to become an expert on Guitar Hero. Wow--certainly beats hiking around factories in east LA.

1 comment:

heathre said...

congrats on the new job!