Sunday, July 13, 2008

There's No Place Like........

It's summer in San Francisco. Normally this would mean being shrouded in a cold foggy mist wearing ear muffs and woolen scarves. However, this year is different. Northern California has been struck with heat waves. This means short shorts and long BBQs with friends. What more does one need in life? I have always been in love with this city but this warm weather is making me twitterpatted all over again. I am Bambi prancing around the urban forest in glee...

Why did I have to travel all over the world just to realize I live in the best place on earth? Why did I need to escape when all I need is right here in my backyard? My friends here are like family, and this eclectic 'family' rivals my real one in terms of crazy characters, patented dance moves, and tendency to OD on good wine and food.

I returned to my city right before the 4th of July weekend. My 'family' whisked me away to Lake Tahoe where we re-lived our ski house experience in 80 degree sunshine.


Is it unusual to do a shimmy while wiping down the table? Strange to bee bop around while frying onions? Or how about performing the worm while the BBQ warms up? Yes, welcome to our Dance Party USA.....the party that starts before the...er...party starts. Motivated by vodka, no once can wait until after dinner to dance. The boogie gets down as we prepare the food, continues while we eat, and keeps developing through digestion. The moves become more and more complex as Roger Rabbit morphs into headspins. On occasion, dramatic lifts and plies are performed. The largest injury to date: broken nose.




Dancing around and lounging around gave me time to reflect on my whirlwind journey. Everyone has asked me about it and it is hard to explain such an epic intense experience in a few sentences. I feel changed. I feel happy. And I have a newfound respect and love for the people of the world.

Laid Back Australia inspired me to new challenges with its non stop surf.
Overwhelming India taught me to love without judging.
And colorful Tanzanian people made me laugh til I ached.

I am ready to leap into my next adventure which is rebuilding my life in my lovely San Francisco. Dating traumas, real estate woos, triathalon attempts and career intrigues await. I have a feeling that living here may be even more exciting than my Serengeti safari.

Stay tuned.....

No comments: