Thursday, April 24, 2008

Table for One Please


One thing about Vietnam--it attracts a ton of adventure happy travelers. Solo travelers. Now I am quite used to dining alone, thanks to my consulting training and series of "lonely dinners" while on the road. However, in Hanoi everyone seems to be equally adept at it. I once ate at a restaurant where despite one huge family table, every one was seated alone! There must have been six one-tops! It was amazing. I wanted to get us all together at one long table where we could exchange travel tales and laughs. As the outgoing American this should be my role. But alas I have become shy. And I was in a particularly interesting part of my book.. Creating a dining party was about as likely as Pierce Brosnan coming up to be table and asking to join me. Plus I am finding peace in my "oneness."

Good thing because in Sapa I was not among solo happy travelers but rather older European couples. This was because I broke out of my budget accommodation to splurge on a luxury resort. Am I the only solo adventurer that likes nice linens? Apparently so. I had made polite conversation with the other guests and staff and of course they all asked me where my husband was. I decided to stop answering the usual ("Well, you see I am unlucky in relationships...it all started when I was cursed by this gypsy in Spain..." and give them the ol' 10 year play by play of my romantic history). Instead I decided to just sigh wistfully and lowly murmur 'I'd rather not talk about it' then an expensive glass of wine. With this and my tendency to take long treks through the mud (see post on highland trekking below) I had transformed myself into a woman of mystery. The other guests would point to me eating alone in my dress with a single candle writing (presumably) deep poetry...'Ahh yes that is the lovely young woman I mentioned...something tragic must have happened to her.....and is that a mud stain on her calf?" Well this is what I imagined they were saying anyway. An yesterday's trek WAS tragic.

I have a 12 hour train ride back to Hanoi tonight. I will do my best to remain enigmatic. (perhaps it's time to pull out Sartre...)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Chameleon, I've just come across your blog - it's interesting to hear about your happiness at being 'one'.

I'm the founder of a website called timeforone.com, I wonder if you'd be interested in keeping in touch with us along your travels and letting us know what you come across? Feel free to get in contact if so.

Happy travels

Wendy